The goals of the Shibboleth software are:
- Allow an their existing user authentication mechanism to access web-based resources even if the resource is not operated by the orgnization. This has the benefits that:
- A user only needs their "normal" log on credentials, not one per resource.
- Access resources do not need to manage user credentials.
- Allow the user's information maintained by their organization to be provided to the resource. This has the benefits that:
- When a user updates information with their organization all resources receives this new information when the user visits them.
- Resources do not need to store and maintain data known by the user's organization.
- Allow the user, or their organization, to control the release of the user's information. This has the benefits that:
- The user, or their organization, is in control of what information gets released.
- Resources maintainers do not need to worry about receiving and protecting data they do not require.
Service Provider System Requirements
Identity Provider System Requirements